Do NOT send children to school, Vienna parents told as at least one suspected terrorist is still on the run

Austria's interior minister has asked parents in the capital not to send their children to school the day after what the authorities call a “terrorist” attack shook Vienna. One suspect is still on the loose.

Do NOT send children to school, Vienna parents told as at least one suspected terrorist is still on the run
Austria's interior minister has asked parents in the capital not to send their children to school the day after what the authorities call a “terrorist” attack shook Vienna. One suspect is still on the loose.

“If possible, leave your children at home” on Tuesday, Interior Minister Karl Nehammer told reporters at a press conference shortly after midnight.

Police still don’t know the whereabouts of one of the two suspected attackers, he added.

Nehammer did not provide the exact number of casualties resulting from the attacks that had been reported across six crime scenes in the area around Vienna’s old city. He said only that “several people” died and several have been injured.

The first attack happened around 8 pm local time on Monday, outside the Stadttempel, Vienna’s Jewish synagogue dating back to the 1820s.